Strays are variants of skeletons that spawn only in frozen, ice, or snowy biomes.
80% of skeletons spawned directly under the sky in Snowy Tundra, Snowy Mountains, Ice Spikes, Frozen River, Frozen Ocean,[BE only] Deep Frozen Ocean[BE only] and Legacy Frozen Ocean[BE only] biomes spawn as strays.
You are watching: what is a stray in minecraft
Strays do not spawn naturally from monster spawners, even when exposed to direct sky in Java Edition. In Bedrock Edition, 1% of spiders and cave spiders can spawn as a spider jockey with 80% chance to be a stray spider jockey or stray cave spider jockey.
The stray has its own spawn egg in the creative inventory.
When a skeleton is kept inside powder snow for 7 seconds (140 game ticks), it begins shaking. After another 15 seconds (300 game ticks) it becomes a stray. The stray appears with full health even if the previous skeleton did not. Items being held or worn by a skeleton when it becomes a stray remain unchanged.
- 0-2 bones. The maximum drop is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 bones with Looting III.
- 0-2 arrows. The maximum drop is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 arrows with Looting III.
- 0-1 arrow of Slowness (if stray was killed by the Player or tamed wolf). Each level of Looting increases the chance of this drop by 50% of the previous chance, resulting in a maximum of 93.75% with Looting III.
- Any picked-up equipment has a 100% chance of dropping and drops with the same damage level it had when picked up.
- Any naturally spawned equipment (including the bow) has an 8.5% chance of dropping (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It is usually badly damaged and has a chance of being enchanted.
- Strays drop 5 when killed by a player or tamed wolf, and an extra 1-3, if the stray has equipment.
Strays behave the same as normal skeletons, however, they shoot tipped arrows that inflict Slowness for 30 seconds on any target that they hit. When strays are underwater, they do not shoot arrows. Instead, they use melee attacks that inflict Slowness. Strays themselves are not immune to Slowness inflicted on them.
Strays make similar noises to skeletons, with an echoing effect.
Strays don’t take damage from freezing in powder snow.
SoundSubtitlesSourceDescriptionResource locationTranslation keyVolumePitchAttenuationdistancehttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_idle1.ogghttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_idle2.ogghttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_idle3.ogghttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_idle4.oggStray rattlesHostile pinkarmy.netent??16 pinkarmy.net/wiki/File:Stray_death1.ogghttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_death2.oggStray diesHostile pinkarmy.neth??16 pinkarmy.net/wiki/File:Stray_hurt1.ogghttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_hurt2.ogghttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_hurt3.ogghttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_hurt4.oggStray hurtsHostile CreaturesTaking pinkarmy.net??16 pinkarmy.net/wiki/File:Stray_step1.ogghttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_step2.ogghttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_step3.ogghttp://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/File:Stray_step4.oggFootstepsHostile pinkarmy.netsteps??16
NameResource locationEntity tags (JE)Translation key pinkarmy.net
NameResource locationNumeric ID Translation key pinkarmy.net
See more: Armor | Pink Army
Strays have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
See Bedrock Edition level format/Entity format.
Icon Advancement In-game description Parent Actual requirements (if different) Resource location Not Today, Thank YouBlock a projectile using your shield. Suit UpBlock any projectile with a pinkarmy.nety/deflect_arrow AdventureAdventure, exploration, and combat —Kill any entity, or be killed by any pinkarmy.netnture/root Monster HunterKill any hostile monster AdventureKill one of these 34 mobs: Other mobs, if any, may be killed, but are ignored for this pinkarmy.netnture/kill_a_mob Monsters HuntedKill one of every hostile monster Monster HunterKill each of these 34 mobs: Other mobs, if any, may be killed, but are ignored for this pinkarmy.netnture/kill_all_mobs
Java Edition 1.10April 11, 2016Jens Bergensten tweets an image of a new skeleton-type mob. 16w20a Added strays. Added spawn eggs for strays, which strays can be spawned from. pre2The spawn egg for strays has been removed. New sounds have now been added for strays, which allow them to have their own sounds. Previously, they had the same sounds as a regular skeleton. 1.1116w32aThe spawn egg for strays has been re-added. The entity ID Skeleton has been changed to skeleton, wither_skeleton and stray for those respective pinkarmy.net SkeletonType tag has been pinkarmy.net in-game name of strays is now “Stray” instead of “entity.Skeleton.name”. 1.1318w19aStrays now sink underwater. Strays no longer drown underwater. 1.1418w43a The texture of strays has been changed. 1.1721w05aSkeletons now convert to strays when in powder snow. 21w13aStrays are now immune to freezing. Skeletons now only take 20 seconds to convert to strays when in powder snow, instead of 45. Pocket Edition Alpha v0.15.0build 1 Added strays. v0.16.0build 5New sounds have now been added for strays, which allow them to have their own sounds. Previously, they had the same sounds as the regular skeleton. Pocket Edition 1.0.0alpha 0.17.0.2 The clothing of strays now has their own overlay and no longer glitch through their bones. 1.1.0alpha 188.8.131.52The entity ID has now changed from pinkarmy.net to stray. Bedrock Edition 1.5.0beta 184.108.40.206Strays now sink underwater. Strays now use melee attacks that inflict Slowness and not use ranged attacks while underwater. 1.9.0beta 220.127.116.11 Strays now have a correct overlay model. 1.10.0beta 18.104.22.168 The texture of strays has now changed. 1.16.0beta 22.214.171.124Strays can now pick up items. Strays now use melee attacks when not holding a bow. Prior to this, strays used any items as ranged weapons to shoot arrows of Slowness normally. 1.17.0beta 126.96.36.199Strays are now immune to freezing. beta 188.8.131.52Skeletons now convert to strays when in powder snow. releaseStrays don’t drop wither skeleton skulls anymore if killed by a charged creeper. Legacy Console Edition TU46CU36 1.38 Patch 151.0.1 Added strays. TU54CU44 1.52 Patch 241.0.4Added stray spawn eggs, which strays can be spawned from. TU69 1.76 Patch 38Strays now sink underwater. New Nintendo 3DS Edition 0.1.0 Added strays.
Issues relating to “Stray” are maintained on the bug tracker. Report issues there.
- When explaining the origin of the stray, Jeb stated, “They’re based on a concept that emerged from a game jam the Bellevue team had, where they were just adding a bunch of stuff to Minecraft – whatever they wanted. Jason Major made a bunch of cool mobs and I thought these particular ones fitted [sic] really well with what we were already planning.”
- Strays and other variants of a skeleton do not know how to use a crossbow, despite the same using method as a bow.
- In their texture, strays appear to be wearing a diamond pendant around their neck, but they do not currently drop diamonds.
- According to the official Minecraft website, slowness arrows are actually ice-tipped arrows that freeze on impact.
In other media