How to make a Dirt Path in Minecraft
This Minecraft tutorial explains how to craft a dirt path with screenshots and step-by-step instructions.
You are watching: how to make paths in minecraft
In Minecraft, a dirt path (formerly called a grass path) is an item that you can not make with a crafting table or furnace. Instead, you need to use a shovel to dig a dirt path in Survival mode or give yourself one using a game command.
Let’s explore how to make a dirt path in Minecraft.
A dirt path is available in the following versions of Minecraft:
PlatformSupported (Version*) Java Edition (PC/Mac)Yes (1.9) Pocket Edition (PE)Yes (1.13.0) Xbox 360Yes (TU43) Xbox OneYes (1.13.0) PS3Yes (1.36) PS4Yes (1.36) Wii UYes (Patch 13) Nintendo SwitchYes (1.13.0) Windows 10 EditionYes (1.13.0) Education EditionYes (1.14.31)
* The version that it was added or removed, if applicable. NOTE: Pocket Edition (PE), Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and Windows 10 Edition are now called Bedrock Edition. We will continue to show them individually for version history.
When Minecraft improved how villages were generated, they used the dirt path block to create the paths between the buildings in a village, such as this Plains village below:
Where to find a Dirt Path in Creative Mode
How to get a Dirt Path in Survival Mode
You can craft a dirt path in Survival mode with a shovel. So let’s get started!
1. Choose a Shovel
First, you need to choose a shovel. You can use any one of these:
In this example, we are going to use an iron shovel.
2. Dig Path with a Shovel
Next, you need to find a grass block to dig up. You can find grass blocks in most Overworld biomes.
To dig the dirt path, select the shovel in your hotbar and then use the shovel to dig the grass block. The game control to dig the grass block depends on the version of Minecraft:
- For Java Edition (PC/Mac), right click on the grass block.
- For Pocket Edition (PE), you tap on the grass block.
- For Xbox 360 and Xbox One, press the LT button on the Xbox controller.
- For PS3 and PS4, press the L2 button on the PS controller.
- For Wii U, press the ZL button on the gamepad.
- For Nintendo Switch, press the ZL button on the controller.
- For Windows 10 Edition, right click on the grass block.
- For Education Edition, right click on the grass block.
You should see the green top of the grass block removed and a medium brown surface will be showing. This is what a dirt path block looks like.
Congratulations, you just learned how to craft a dirt path in Minecraft.