A spruce tree, also known as a pine tree,[more information needed] grows from a spruce sapling and has growth patterns and requirements similar to birch trees, although they appear different. They are mainly found in the taiga biome, but they may also generate in wooded mountains, snowy tundra, snowy taiga, and giant tree taiga biomes. Spruce logs have the same texture as oak logs, but it is a darker shade of brown; its leaves are denser, with a darker and blueish tone.
You are watching: how to grow big spruce trees in minecraft
There are several different forms of these trees that may grow from any spruce saplings:
- A regular variant with a height between 5-12. The leaves tend to grow in discrete rows rather than the more spherical arrangement of oaks and birch trees. In Bedrock Edition, only this variant can be grown with saplings.
- A fairly tall variant of spruce trees that generate in a matchstick style, with only a few leaves at the top.
- A short variant in which the leaves are arranged in a roughly octahedral shape, similar to a lollipop.
- A large 2×2 variant that generates in the giant tree taiga biome and can be grown from spruce saplings arranged in a 2×2 square, with or without bone meal. They are commonly called “redwoods” or “mega spruce trees”.
- These spruce trees have few leaves, concentrated at the top. Mega spruce trees with leaves only at the top can be found in every type of Giant Tree Taiga except for the Giant Spruce Taiga, which has trees that have a lot of leaves on them.
- The northwest block of the top layer of the 2×2 mega spruce tree trunk is always taller than the other three blocks.
- A large 2×2 variant that generates in the giant spruce taiga biome which has a lot more leaves than the other 2×2 spruce tree. In Bedrock Edition, only this variant can be grown with saplings.
- A short 1×1 variant that generates on the sides of mountains,[upcoming: BE 1.18.0] that has a few leaves, and appear to be 4 – 5 blocks tall. The tree has only been seen in this image.
The spruce tree variants spawn naturally in the indicated biomes:
Biome Spruce Mega Spruce Pine Mega Pine 15px Mountain Spruce Giant Spruce Taiga [Bedrock Edition only] Giant Tree Taiga [Bedrock Edition only] Snowy Mountains Snowy Taiga Snowy Tundra Taiga Wooded Mountains Mountain Grove [upcoming: BE 1.18.0]
In an amplified taiga or giant tree taiga, some of the spruce trees generate with snow on them, just like in the other cold biomes.
When mega spruce trees grow, they convert any grass blocks, dirt, mycelium, coarse dirt and rooted dirt up to a radius of 6 blocks to podzol, centered on the south-eastern sapling.
Like birch trees, they do not grow branches. When height-constrained, the trunk height maximum is two less than the roof. The headroom of 9 blocks limits the tree to a trunk height of 7, which enables harvesting from ground level.
Blocks and items
These items can be obtained from all variants of spruce, with the exception that saplings cannot be obtained from the pine variant:
- Mushrooms[Bedrock Edition only] (if present on a fallen log)
- Spruce Leaves (harvested with shears)
- Spruce Log (harvested with any tool including hands)
- Spruce Planks (created from a log in the inventory crafting grid)
- Spruce Sapling (chance of dropping when breaking leaves, except for pine variant)
- Stripped Spruce Log (created by using an axe on a log)
- Vines[Bedrock Edition only] (harvested with shears from dying trees)
Spruce saplings may be planted and grown on:
- Grass Block
- Coarse Dirt
- Rooted Dirt
- Moss Block
- Farmland [Java Edition only] [verify]
In order to grow a 2×2 tree (be it spruce, jungle or dark oak), four saplings must be placed adjacent to each other in a square. For growth to succeed, there must be no blocks adjacent (even diagonally) to the north-western side up to the final height of the tree. Bone meal can be used on any of the saplings. The largest jungle and spruce trees reach 31 blocks tall.
1×1 spruce trees require a 5×5 column of unobstructed space at least 7 blocks above the sapling to grow (8 blocks including the sapling itself). No horizontal clearance is needed at the base of the tree and 1 level above (a sapling planted in a hole 2 blocks deep can still grow).
2×2 spruce trees require a 5×5 column of unobstructed space at least 14 blocks above the saplings to grow (15 blocks including the saplings themselves). This column is centered on the northwestern sapling. A 3×3 area is required at the base of the tree (the level of the saplings).
In Bedrock Edition, giant spruce trees do not grow if the northwest sapling is on farmland.
Other variant spruce trees
In Bedrock and Education editions, trees can generate as one of the two following variants of the normal tree. Both of these generate naturally, and can be grown out of normal saplings.
A dying spruce tree has the standard growth pattern of any other tree, however, all exposed logs in the main trunk are covered with vines.
Fallen spruce trees
A fallen spruce tree may consist of a single upright log, or a stump. Logs lying on their side are often found 1-2 blocks from the stump. They occasionally have mushrooms on top.
A fallen spruce tree has a log length of 6-10 blocks, and the stump is never covered with vines.
Spruce leaves do not follow the foliage color rules that cause the trees to appear in different colors in different biomes. Spruce leaves are always the same color regardless of the biome.
Java Edition Beta 1.2Spruce trees introduced, replacing Oak trees in Taigas. 1.5Spruce trees can now be grown using saplings. Java Edition 1.7.213w36aMega spruce trees added. Spruce trees now generate in ice plains biomes and extreme hills+ biomes in addition to oak trees. 1.1318w06aLarge spruce trees now transform nearby grass blocks into podzol when they grow. Pocket Edition Alpha v0.1.0Added oak, spruce, and birch trees. v0.2.1Oak trees generate with spruce wood. v0.4.0Oak trees no longer generate with spruce wood. v0.9.0build 1Added jungle trees (small and mega), dark oak trees, acacia trees, mega spruce trees, oak trees (swamp and large oak variants), and version-exclusive fallen and dying trees. Cold-en oak trees (spruce trees shaped like oak trees) no longer generate. Bedrock Edition 1.16.0beta 126.96.36.199Large spruce trees now transform nearby grass blocks into podzol when they grow. 1.16.220beta 188.8.131.52Added mountain spruce tree that have slightly different shape than other Spruce variants. Legacy Console Edition TU1CU1 1.00 Patch 11.0.1Added oak, spruce, and birch trees.
Issues relating to “Spruce” are maintained on the bug tracker. Report issues there.
- In real life, spruce is a genus of trees known as Picea.